Suspicious Email Enquiries
Receiving interest in your ad when you are selling your car is a satisfying feeling. However, it’s important to be vigilant when communicating with potential buyers and look out for signs that something isn’t right. Buyer scams or false enquiries can potentially lead to loss of money. If anything at all looks suspicious or too good to be true, it probably is.
What to watch out for when selling a car:
- Potential buyers who want to buy your car without viewing the vehicle first
- Buyers that claim they are overseas and cannot be contacted directly
- Someone who doesn’t negotiate on price or offers more than your asking price
- Scammers who claim to send more money than expected with a fake receipt. They may claim it's to cover something such as freight or may suggest it was a banking error. They will then ask you to refund them the excess or pay for other costs on their behalf. If the seller refunds the difference indicated on the fake receipt, this can lead to the seller being out of pocket.
How to stay safe when selling your car online:
- Always be sure that you are talking to a legitimate buyer. Anyone looking to legitimately purchase a vehicle will be happy to talk on the phone.
- Do not accept international money orders or cheques.
- Never part with your car until you have independently verified that you have received the money. Never trust a receipt until the cash is in your bank account or PayPal.
- Never sell your car through a third party company chosen by the buyer.
- Be wary of Western Union accounts and being asked to deposit cash into them to cover costs for the buyer.
What to do if you get a suspicious-looking email
If you do receive a suspicious-looking email from someone who wants to buy your car, it is always better to be safe than sorry. Reach out to the Cartopia team and send us an email at email@example.com with some details about the communication. We’ll take a look at the buyer and ascertain the validity of the enquiry. You can also give us a call on 1300 696 392and have a chat with our team about the enquiry on your car.